Seven Random Facts
- I have the ability to remember the all the words to just about any song. Due to my parents’ music choice and my own misspent youth, I have a large repertoire of song lyrics of early 70s country western and 80s pop/rock. If only lessons in school had been sung, then I might have been a genius. This talent is rather ironic as . . .
- I am unable to carry a tune. I have never sung an actual note in tune. I still have memories of a music teacher hitting one piano key over and over, and me trying to sing in key. The poor women just couldn’t wrap her mind around my complete tone deafness. I imagine that she is probable still sitting there on the piano bench, muttering “just one more time” while simultaneously hitting the same key over and over.
- My baby toe on both feet nearly has no toe nail. It just never grows. PH claims I should receive a twenty percent discount when receiving a pedicure as the nail tech only has to paint four toes on each foot.
- I can still do a cartwheel, a handstand, and on a good day, a standing back bend. At age almost 39, my old gymnastic skills are enough to impress my daughter, age six. I fear what I will need to be able to do to impress her ten years from now.
- I still have three of my four grandparents alive. As I did not marry and have children until age thirty plus, I wonder how much time my children would have with their great grandparents. All of my grandparents spend some of their winter in Florida so the kids have time with them. Also, our trips home always include a stop at my grandparent’s farm so the kids can ride the tractor with Great Grampa (and now Grampa as Great Grampa doesn’t always recognize us). Unfortunately, time is beginning to take its toll on all three and I am not sure how much longer this fact will be true.
- I love autumn. The cooling air and clear blue skies, the changing leaves, sweater weather, apple orchards, pumpkin patches, the cold rain foreshadowing the coming snow. Ten years in Florida have not diminished this but instead have lead to much depressive whining and complaining come October when it is still 90 degrees in this place.
- I am a planner. I want to know where I am going and any obstacles along the way so I can plan to reduce their impact. I know that Life is constantly throwing surprises and I’d be bored if I knew it all ahead of time, but I can’t stop my mind from having contingence plans.