Hubby's grandmother died. This is FIL's mother and as we speak Hubby is flying North for the funeral. Because of the divorce of hubby's parents, he never had a lot of contact with this grandmother, and I have never met her. But her death should be the focus. Instead the last 72 hours have included enough drama for several XXX Jerry Springer shows. In any big family, there are a few nuts, Hubby's family just seems to have several extra.
There has been a gathering, and phone calls, and emails - and not about Grandma. When Hubby spoke with his brother in France, BIL asked when we could move and stated it should be as far away as possible. He hinted that France was even a bit too close to this mob. When I called my own semi-normal (in comparison) mother and told her all of this, she started laughing and told me that I could not think this stuff up and I need to find a way to write it down. So, in that spirit, I have started titling the episodes for Springer. At least, I can then laugh about this.
- Child Alcoholism: Is it Right to Allow Your Seven Year Old to Steal Your Wine Glass?
- Adult Alcoholism: Yes, Your Kid Does Know How Many Drinks You've Had
- Who's the Daddy? (self-explanatory)
- Miscarriage: Should you continue to try to become pregnant when (A) you have a child, (B) you are not in a relationship, (C) your finances are strained, and (D) you have had several miscarriages that have resulted in you being a bit nuts and tattooing the name of the miscarried child on your arms?
- Tattoos with Profanity and Young Children: How to explain them?
- "Remembered" Abuse: Are allegations of abuse thirty years later true or just a way to seek money as you have never held a job and are over age thirty?
- Doctor/Patient Relationships: Should you date or marry your M.D? Even if he has delivered your children? Does it matter if he is already married?
- Illness and Family Expectations: If you have disowned your family, should they be expected to locate you and come spend time taking care of you if you become sick?
- Bullying is Not Cute! Wake Up and Parent!
- Adult Children Living at Home with No Job: Misunderstood or just Sponges?
Thankfully, in this bunch of nuts are a few great people, and we just catch each others eye and exchange the look. That look of how in the hell did I end up as a part of this.
So, any suggestions for a new name?