Wish I was there . .
My passport is ready and I can be packed in minutes.

15 May 2008

Speechless Yet Again

I have in the past discussed (complained) about living in Florida. There are certain aspects that of this state that astound me - there was that whole "chad" voting thing, hurricanes, the high crime, the education system, possum tacos, snakes , and the fact that every year some kid gets eaten by an alligator. I understand I am biased as the hot weather makes me cranky and therefore I often proclaim that there is nothing of value in this state (except sweet tea - which can be found in various othere states so that alone is no reason to keep Florida from sinking into the Atlantic). Today, I was once again reminded that no matter how jaded I am, this state will still render me speechless.

Below is a portion of the advisory from the Florida Department of Health and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission warning the public about their consumption of pig frog legs. That's right - PIG FROG LEG CONSUMPTION.


(****I provided the link to the breaking news section of a local paper because I wouldn't believe this either.)

> TALLAHASSEE - The Florida Department of Health (DOH) and the Florida
> Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) jointly issued a
> consumption advisory today for pig frog legs taken from any part of
> the Everglades and Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area. This
> advisory covers all of Water Conservation Areas (WCAs) 2 and 3 due to
> elevated levels of mercury found in these frogs.
>
> This advisory provides information on quantities and time intervals
> for pig frog consumption. DOH recommends that women of childbearing
> age and young children eat no more than two 8-ounce (raw weight) meals
> of frog-leg meat per week from WCA 2A and WCA 2B and no more than one
> 8-ounce meal of frog-leg meat per month from WCA 3A North and WCA 3A
> South. DOH also recommends that women of childbearing age and young
> children eat no more than one 8-ounce meal of frog-leg meat per week
> from WCA 3B.
Need I say anything else . . .

4 comments:

G in Berlin said...

To be fair, heavy metal contamination is a world-wide problem in the oceans and they eat an awful lot of frog's legs in France so I would assume it's also a problem there? I know that here in Germany pregnant women, etc, need to be very careful of many types of fish (I don't eat frog's legs, so I don't know about them...).

Rosie said...

I'd better cut back on them then...

Merisi said...

I wonder if I marinate them in something strong like absinthe ....
oh well, I'll play it safe and have the deep-fried alligator balls instead. Lukewarm beer, anyone? ;-)

Merisi said...

No, make that a Key-Lime-Pie, pleeease! (There we have it, something truly delicious out of the Sunshine State, and not hanging on a chad either!!!!)