Wish I was there . .
My passport is ready and I can be packed in minutes.

15 August 2006

The Biggest Mistake?

Well, I have been back to work full-time in a new career for just over a week and I am seriously thinking that I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I understand that adjusting and learning a new career takes time, but I am beyond overwhelmed at this point. My immediate supervisor has already gotten into trouble for having the audacity to suggest to the "powers that be" that overloading me this early will lead to a disaster. As he has been told to back off, I am now on my own to try to navigate this new job.

What is so ironic is that before when I was a "customer" and not an employee, I was always right, my opinion was valued, and I was treated with respect. The moment I changed to employee, my status changed and it has become perfectly acceptable to bully me into taking on much more than my contract required. I already miss the time I had with my kids and am struggling to figure out how to balance all this. Thankfully, PH has been wonderful and has stepped up to take on so much of what I used to do. Realistically, that can't go on forever and I just hope I can find a way to get it all done without screwing up royally.

So much for my promise that I wouldn't blog about work . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well you're doing it in a rather vague way! I do hope things get better. I guess jobs in the beginning are hard to start and a bit confusing until we get into a routine..

But thanks for your great comment and I hope you do get to travel more (as me once that damn immigration gets going!)

Sunshine said...

Hang in there, do your best and don't be too hard on yourself. You'll know fairly soon whether this new job is a good fit for your life or not - perhaps you will find it wasn't and it's not the end of the world, you can make a change that works. Or, you'll get it all down and love the job. Or, you'll chuck the job altogether. Life is full of choices and sometimes we make the right ones and sometimes the wrong ones. But it always works itself out eventually.
In the meantime....deep breathing, girlfriend. DEEP BREATHING!

RennyBA said...

A delicate and personal question and how are we do advice? It seam that you leak in stead of gaining energy from your work though, and that is not good in the long run, The question should I stay or should I go is always tough, but maybe if you listen to your heart, you find the answer. My wife always say: ‘It works if you work it, so work it, you’re worth it’. Good luck in finding the right path for you.