Wish I was there . .
My passport is ready and I can be packed in minutes.

25 June 2006

oh la la la

I should preface this post by saying that I have had half a bottle of wine so excuse the misspellings and incomplete sentences. (yes, it is a sad commentary on my life that half a bottle of wine should have such an effect but ce ma vie!)

Nice rainy day in Paris. We celebrate my niece's one year birthday. Although the rest of the family who were present were French speaking, they were very kind to us and made a great effort to include us. Our understanding of the language is much better than our ability to speak so we were able to follow most of the conversation. My niece loved being the center of attention and rewarded our bilingual encouragement by stuffing a large piece of cake into her mouth and then throwing the crumbs all over the floor.

PerfectHusband and I also ventured to a market and were able to communicate well enough to purchase wine (which I have consumed), chicken, vegetables for a salad, bread, and strawberries. Other than a slight mix up about the amount of strawberries, we ended up with what we thought we were saying!

We spent the afternoon wandering in the d'Orsay. Although crowded, it was a lovely way to spend a rainy day. Besides the beautiful artwork, it was fun to stand on the top floor, overlooking the large clock, and watch the people. After, we meandered back to "our" apartment warmed the chicken and bread, pulled out some good cheese, and made a large salad. It was a wonderful day and I am feeling a little less overwhelmed by this city. I have lived in Boston and D.C. but in reality I am more comfortable in a smaller city. I am enjoying Paris, but I am looking forward to leaving for Gerardmer on Tuesday.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got to enjoy things a bit slower this time. Maybe the connection is just odd and won't let you upload photos...

At any rate, I'm sure you are looking forward to another area. :)

christina said...

Excellent. Sound like you're having a great time despite the tour guide from hell. And yes, Paris can be overwhelming. I guess you just have to remember that you can't see and do everthing and that there will always be a next time.